Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Mt. Marshall Take Two, And New Lesson's Learned!

First of all, driving approximately two hours to do a "trot" is a very new concept to me...and one, yes, I have certainly struggled and fought tooth and nail with!  Ok, I know I'm not perfect!  Regardless, getting out is what keeps me going, smiling, and centered and therefore I do it!  But when you drive two hours and find the road is closed, well, its a little upsetting!!

Lesson Number One:  Call the number above before you head out Shenandoah National Park!

But luckily I choose my partners VERY wisely!  So as we talked with the ranger trying to figure out our options, Kira said lets do the run you (VLP) suggested that starts outside the park!!  My response, "What??"  Sure enough, there was a side trail that takes you right to the Mount Marshall loop trail! It worked out perfectly.  We were looking to do 20 miles, and the little extra distance pushed the loop up to 17 miles....so only a couple of miles on the road.

Lesson Number Two (Relearned):  Choose your partners wisely.

It was a beautiful run in the woods, and perhaps the most snow I had seen all season, except in Alaska of course!  There was a good three inches on the ground up high, and more coming down!  I thought boot packing only happened up north!

Lesson Number Three:  
Believe the ranger when they say there are good reasons to close the road!

Our first longer run - check, check!  Both of us finishing strong and ready for a car beer, and a massage!
Happy trotting!

No comments:

Post a Comment