Sunday, February 19, 2012

Overall Loop and Some Product Testing - Patagonia Super Cell

Story in short.  I like gear, and I like to know how well it works.  So when my new Patagonia Super Cell arrived I had to give it a test run, literally!  This jacket is new in the Patagonia spring line and is their lightest weight (12.8 oz) hardshell Gore-tex jacket.

But, for those who are short on time, and most likely won't make it through the whole post,
here is my quick 5 star rating scores with comments:
(If I could figure out how to make a star in blogger, I would have....!)
FIT/COLOR:  5 STARS (Note: I ordered the M, then downsized to a S.  I'm 5'8, 150/155.) 
BREATHABILITY:  2 STARS (It's waterproof.)
WATERPROOFNESS:  5 STARS (It's Gore-tex.)
WHEN WOULD THIS JACKET ROCK:  I think this jacket would be a great piece for Colorado/Wyoming, etc peak bagging.  I think it would be a great piece for more mellow international trips (ie hiking Annapurna, Kilimanjaro, Inca Trail, etc).  Also, I would certainly throw it in my pack on rock climbing trips and any sort of easy trail backpacking trips.
WHEN WOULDN'T THIS JACKET ROCK:  It is certainly lightweight, and not sure how to test its durablity.  Some heavy Alaska bush wacking, I think, would tear it to shreds.  Too light for any really wet ice climbing.  And a D.C. hot humid day....well, I would rather be naked!

I learned the last time I went out to the Shendandoah's to give a shout ahead of time to make sure the road is open.....and sure enough, even on a 50 degree calm day, the road was closed!  I had done the 9.0 mile Overall Loop last year, and with great views and access outside of the park it was the pick of the day.




I left the car with the jacket on, a merino 2 crew neck, and began my "trot".  (Trotting = something between a walk and a jog.)  I warmed up pretty quickly.  The front waterproof zipper was easy to zip and with the larger plastic it was easy to use with cold fingers and gloves (see above).  The underarm zips, as usual, were a bit of a struggle.....The touch point system that lock in the cord at the waist and the hood seem to work a little better than the Patagonia Super Alpine....the waist seems to be ok, but the hood still seems to come loose with movement.  The hood never bothered me, never was floppy or blowing in the wind.  There is no hood tie down if that's that's your thing.  


By mile four, as expected, I was completely overheated and the coat came off. I don't think most people would choose to run in Gore-Tex, but what a great way to test its breathabilityt!  It packed easily in my running pack, and then it was time to bust out the Patagonia Houdini, the best jacket on EARTH!!!!! (see above).



Ok, these photos don't have anything to do with product testing I just liked them!!  Lower photo is the view from the top.



As I reached the top, temps dropped and clouds moved in.....the trail was snow packed and the unexpected  hail began.....Ok, i'll quit my bitching about the road being closed, I get it!! However, I was very happy to have the Super Cell with me!!  Water beaded, as I would have expected.  And with the cooler temps the jacket felt great.

I also was very happy when I turned the next corner and saw this!!!! (SEE BELOW!). It is still running pretty good, but I bet with cooler temps it will form up pretty quickly  Looks like there is great top access with solid trees, so it is probably even top ropeable!  Let me know when you are ready to go exploring.  I got a rack and ropes!!


In the end, I think the jacket is great and I would certainly recommend it.  The color was great and looks awesome in photos!!!  It fit me perfectly, but like I said I downsized.  I am in agreement with some others, that perhaps the inside of the jacket, on a hot day, won't feel so great against skin.  But if you are looking for something light weight and something to keep you dry, the Super Cell is  not a bad choice.  

PS. I used it the next day on my bike....once again I warmed up pretty well, but the hood fit great over my helmet!!

PSS.  Feel free to comment, disagree, or ask many questions!

4 comments:

  1. Hello,

    I'm a trail runner and hiker, completely obsessed with the Houdini. Is that the 2011 Bougainvillea color? Is it the same jacket from your March 5 post? It looks like a crisp pure pink in this post and in the march one looks more on the warm side. Either way, lovely. I'm going to get one and your input would help greatly in me nailing down a color. :) Thank you. Lisa in Boulder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lisa in Boulder! I love Boulder, by the way, and may eventually make my way out that way! I checked the color code on my jacket and it is CIE. I only have one pink Houdini and it is a couple of years old. I work at the Patagonia shop here in DC...This seasons pink is a bit darker than mine. I think the blue (CUA) is a little dull. I have not seen the purple (HYD), but it looks pretty cool online! (We only have the pink (FPK) and blue in the store. If you don't have a pink Houdini yet, go for it!! I have also been checking out the Nine Trails jacket, but have to say I think I still love the Houdini more!! Thanks for your comment! Lynn in D.C.

      Delete
  2. Aha! I think you must have the beautiful Cerise color. It looks great with your coloring. I had a feeling you might work at Patagonia with all the awesome Patagonia gear you all are sporting. Jealous, yes. Thank you for all the detailed info and you should DEFINITELY make your way out to Boulder. You would LOVE it. Heck, you might not ever leave, which seems to be a common occurrence, and we *do* have a Patagonia store. ;o) Thanks you so much!!! Lisa (p.s...your photos rock!)

    oh, btw...ever seen the Butterfly Blue Houdini IRL? I found it on sale, along with the Cerise...decisions, decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aha! I think you must have the beautiful Cerise color. It looks great with your coloring. I had a feeling you might work at Patagonia with all the awesome Patagonia gear you all are sporting. Jealous, yes. Thank you for all the detailed info and you should DEFINITELY make your way out to Boulder. You would LOVE it. Heck, you might not ever leave, which seems to be a common occurrence, and we *do* have a Patagonia store. ;o) Thanks you so much!!! Lisa (p.s...your photos rock!)

    Not sure if I hit "publish" so I'm adding a little more. Yeah, the rep at the Patagonia store showed me the Nine Trails too, but the Houdini just seems to be unbelievably versatile so it's a no-brainer for me.

    oh, btw...ever seen the Butterfly Blue Houdini IRL? It looks like a deep violet from a year or two ago. I found it on sale, along with the Cerise...decisions, decisions.

    ReplyDelete