Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Occupy D.C. Takes over McPherson Square


Occupy D.C. has certainly taken over McPherson Square!  It was an interesting experience walking through the square, as people have really set up camp.  Some tents are selling books, while others are selling camping supplies and food.  Martha's Table (an organization that helps to feed people in need) was set up on the corner offering meals.......??  
Protest or homeless shelter?



I went to the Occupy D.C.website to understand a little better what they are trying to occupy and this is what I found:
Occupy DC is a nonviolent occupation of public space in solidarity with Occupy Wall Street and Occupy movements everywhere. We are a grassroots movement empowering the 99% to have a say in returning the country to a just political and economic system. We are not a political party nor are we affiliated with any political party. This is a peoples movement led by a democratic system with the goal to restore social and economic justice.
Check this out for more info http://occupydc.org/


There must have been well over 100 tents, and I saw a sign that suggested they had been there for over 200 days....??  I know it is growing, and am curious how big it might get!  If you took away the political signs and added some climbing gear, I would say I was walking through Camp 4 in Yosemite - blue tarps blowing in the wind, people scattered throughout, an odd smell lingering in the air......
I'm going to leave the post at that, as my intent is to share with you things that are apart of my daily life, not to make a political statement!  Enjoy the Show!

No comments:

Post a Comment