Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Day I Almost Ate Kira - Piney Branch to Jeremy's Run SNP

Link-Up's I love them, but you never really know what your getting yourself into until you are in the middle of it!! In short, we linked up the Piney Branch Trail (which you can access inside or outside of SNP) with Jeremy's run (access inside the park only, I think).  For actual route info, distance, etc check out the GPS data at the bottom of this post!

It was a BEAUTIFUL February spring day, and if I could have run naked I probably would have!  Just kidding, but we did take off layers within the first 10 minutes and for the first time this year I was wishing for my running skirt!

Jeremey's Run was awesome, and I would highly recommend it for a day hike!  You follow the river for miles and cross it multiple times.  The shot above was the best shot of the day!  Crossing the river slowed us down a bit, but it made the trip even more exciting! (ok, maybe its all my photographing that slows us down.....hmmmm.)

Linking the two routes/trails (24 miles-ish) made it a great day for elevation gain.  My GPS says 4,380 ft (impressive for an east coast day), but Kira needs to double check me on that one.  It was a day in which I felt like we were always going up.....When the sun began to set (photo above), and my stomach was growling, I was ready to be back at the car!!

Kira, as always, finished strong! It is always fun to come out in the dark and have a car beer nicely chilled in the river waiting for you....and cheese of course, lots of it!  Without those things, it was a possibility that I would have eaten Kira!  We stopped at a local spot for one of the best burgers I have had in awhile - the Griffin Tavern in Flint Hill, VA....highly recommend it!

If your checking out the Garmin info below, zoom and look at the split times....It must have turned on after I stopped it, but all the info you need is there!  See you on the trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment